Beautifully placed at the heart of Serra da Estrela Natural Park and UNESCO Estrela Geopark, Mondego Walkways are a brand-new natural attraction of the region of Guarda. They represent a major investment in nature tourism, as well as a great asset of the whole territory.
The path runs along River Mondego and two tributaries, Ribeiro do Barrocal and Rio Caldeirão, covering about 11.5 km, with 6.7 km over wooden walkways, some of them flat, others on stairs. The rest of the route is made along existing tracks and paths. Three suspension bridges were built and Ribas bridge was renovated.
These walkways start in the Mountain Village of Videmonte and continue to the Caldeirão Dam, crossing the Mountain Villages of Videmonte, Trinta, Meios and Corujeira, as well as Aldeia Viçosa, Mizarela, Pero Soares and Vila Soeiro.
Trinta was the first village of Guarda district to have electricity and it was an important wool production center, where 7 factories were working. Wool memories are still alive in this welcoming village. These were the lands where blankets, worthy of a Pope, were woven. Hence the name "cobertor de papa", meaning "Pope blanket".
Meios has a Weaving Museum, housed in a former wool factory that closed its doors in the 80's of the 20th century. In this charming museum visitors can see wool-related utensils and weaving machines still working.
Aldeia Viçosa has a dazzling fully-eequipped river beach, situated on the right bank of Mondego River, offering a breath-taking over the Mondego valley.
Visitors have access to unique places, such as Mocho Real Viewpoint, waterfalls, mills, old wool fabrics, and electricity production factories (Hidroelétrica do Pateiro).
Right at the entrance to the city of Guarda, there is the Caldeirão Waterfall, a gigantic waterfall, where the waters of Ribeira do Caldeirão crash into a steep abyss, showing a pink hue.
A fascinating route across the best-kept secrets of Mondego River that has been designed in full respect to the highest sustainability standards.
• There are 3 available routes:
o Full route: 12km-long; medium difficulty; approximate duration: 4/5 hours // Barragem do Caldeirão - Videmonde
o Family route: 2km-long, linear // Videmonde - Açude dos Trinta
o Reduced mobility route: 2km, linear // Vila Soeiro - Central - Suspension Bridge Engenho do Pateiro
• The walkways are open everyday from 09:00 to 17:00
• Parking and bathrooms available at the entries of the walkways
• Baby cars not recommended except in the reduced mobility route
• Pets not allowed
• Cafés and restaurants at the 3 entries of the walkways
• Transfers available to take visitors from one end to the other
• Visitors can enter/leave the route through each one of the 3 entries/exits
• Entries are free until January 2023, but ticket booking is mandatory for control reasons
• Respect Nature! Take a backpack for personal trash; don't make noise; don't disturb the animals; don't pick up flowers or plants.